AMOUNT OF AWARD:
- Maximum $2,000 for one professional conference/meeting
- Faculty members may only receive one travel award during their career at UCSF and it must be used for one conference/meeting. Repeated awards will not be granted.
- Rank: Assistant, Associate or Professor
- Series: All academic series
- The Faculty Travel Award is for faculty members who have childcare, eldercare or other dependent care responsibilities and who plan to attend a regional, national or international professional meeting.
- The Faculty Travel Award is intended to facilitate faculty members' attendance at professional conferences and meetings. In order to apply for the travel award, the faculty member must make a professional presentation at the conference AND demonstrate that attending the conference is important for advancing his/her career.
- The faculty member must utilize the Faculty Travel Award funds to support childcare, elder care or other dependent care expenses that are incurred in conjunction with the faculty member's attendance at the professional conference/meeting.
The Faculty Travel Award funds may be used for child, elder or dependent care at the site of the conference/meeting or for additional dependent care at home, while the award recipient is traveling to a conference/meeting. The funds can be used for on-site care or transportation costs for the dependent(s) or caregiver(s). The award recipient will certify that the requested funds for dependent care are additional expenses due to the travel and are above and beyond normal dependent care expenses.
For single caretakers and faculty members whose spouse/partner is not available for child care or dependent care due to work obligations or extenuating circumstances, the Faculty Travel Award can be used for child, elder or dependent care expenses.
The Faculty Travel Award funds may be used for child, elder or dependent care expenses at home or at the conference:
Travel expenses for the dependent and, if appropriate, for the caregiver Accommodations for caregiver if s/he stays overnight with the dependent On-site daycare expenses Reasonable dependent care expenses over and above the costs, if any, that you would normally incur at home or if your dependent must travel with you during the trip
Who qualifies as a dependent?
A dependent is defined as:
a healthy child (≤ 12 years) who resides with the applicant and for whom the applicant is a primary caregiver; or a child/adolescent (≤18 years) who is physically or mentally disabled, requires assistance with daily activities, resides with the applicant, and for whom the applicant is a primary caregiver; or a disabled adult/elder (spouse, parent, parent-in-law or grandparent) who spends at least eight hours every day in the applicant's home and for whom the applicant has caregiving responsibility.
The Faculty Travel Award funds may NOT be used for:
Child care, elder care or dependent care expenses at home that would normally be incurred (i.e., aftercare at school, dependent care that is provided on an on-going basis) Meals, groceries for the dependent(s) or the caregiver(s) (i.e., normally occurring provisions) Any of the faculty member’s expenses Conference registration for the faculty member Other expenses not associated to the additional care or travel of the dependent(s)
- No less than thirty days before the conference/meeting begins, the faculty member submits a brief description (one paragraph) that summarizes why the Faculty Travel Award funding is important and the anticipated impact of the faculty member's attendance at the conference/meeting.
- No less than thirty days before the conference/meeting begins, the faculty member submits a budget that describes how the Faculty Travel Award funds will be used to support expenses for childcare, eldercare or dependent care. The expenses for childcare, eldercare or dependent care may be incurred at the site of the professional meeting or at home. $2000 is the maximum amount of support for childcare, eldercare or dependent care that can be requested through the Faculty Travel Award.
- Requests will be reviewed and granted on a rolling basis throughout the year.
Click here for application.
- Please submit your application to Sheila Quimpo via email at [email protected]. You will receive notification within two weeks.
If you have any questions, contact Sheila Quimpo at 476-4237 or via email at [email protected].