- Associate or early Full Professor (Steps 1 or 2) as of July 1, 2022
- Strong track record of research (e.g., R01 awards, multiple publications). We are open to any type of research (basic, translational, clinical, health services, policy) and all disciplines.
- Experience mentoring women and/or URM trainees in research
- Contributions to diversity at UCSF and beyond. Applicant may refer to the “Contributions to Diversity Statement” in their CV.
- URM women research faculty
- Experience with mentoring trainees across several disciplines
- Preference will be given to candidates who do not hold current NIH Mid-career Development Awards (e.g., K24, K25 or equivalent mid-career awards).
Please send to Claudine Catledge by February 14, 2022.
- One page statement outlining how the applicant meets the program criteria, and the anticipated benefit of this award on the applicant’s career development.
- NIH format biographical sketch
- UCSF Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Support from Chair, highlighting applicant’s research accomplishments, departmental support, and future success potential (1 page)
- Documentation of applicant’s mentorship track record (as noted below)
- Combine all application components into one PDF
Example Table of Mentees
|Mentee||Is mentee a woman and/or URM||Career stage (when started mentorship)||Career stage (current)||Outcomes of mentorship (publications, grants, awards)|
|Jane Doe||Yes, URM woman||Medical Student||Assistant Professor||K23, 5 peer-reviewed publications|
|John Doe||Yes, URM||Resident||Assistant Professor||Resident research award, KL2 program|
- February 14, 2022 at 5pm PST: Application deadline
- April 18, 2022: Awardees notified
- July 1, 2022: Program starts
Can men apply for this program?
While preference will be given to URM women, men may still apply and be considered for this program.
Who should I ask to write my letter of support, my Vice Chair, Division Chief, or Department Chair?
Any of these people may write your letter of support; you should select the person who knows you the best.
Are faculty in the Clinical X series eligible for this program?
While this program does not exclude faculty in the Clinical X series, this program is for mid-career faculty with a strong track record of research as evidenced by R01 awards; multiple publications; and evidence of scientific mentorship.
Do I have to be in the School of Medicine to apply?
All schools are eligible.
Does my letter of support need to be submitted by my chair via DocuSign?
No, you may submit your letter with the rest of your application.
Can I submit a cover letter with my application?
Yes, this is optional.