A Monthly Digest for Faculty and Staff at UCSF School of Medicine
Read archive | Submit to News Links | Facebook | Twitter
A medical student reflects on the challenges of primary care after spending a summer in Richmond through the UCSF Primary Care Leadership Academy.
Honors and Appointments
- Addition from October 2016 News Links: Michael Fischbach, PhD was named a Howard Hughes Medical Institute Faculty Scholar in addition to those faculty previously mentioned. Fischbach is an Associate Professor in the Department of Bioengineering and Therapeutic Sciences
- National Institutes of Health High-Risk, High-Reward Research program grant recipients:
- Michael Fischbach, PhD - Pioneer Award
- Bassem Al-Sady, PhD, Rushika Perera, PhD, Tien Peng, MD, and Arun Wiita, MD, PhD, - New Innovator Award
- Matthew Spitzer, PhD and Kevin Yackle, MD, PhD - Early Independence Award
- Joseph DeRisi, PhD, Elissa Epel, PhD, and Bruce Miller, MD, were elected as new members to the National Academy of Medicine.
- Michael Peterson, MD, has been awarded Mastership in the American College of Physicians.
- Robert Wachter, MD, has been appointed chair of the Department of Medicine.
Melvin Malcolm Grumbach, MD, UCSF's “father of pediatrics” who was chair of the Department of Pediatrics for 20 years, a faculty member for 50 years, and a leading figure in pediatric endocrinology, passed away October 4.
Tip of the Month
Looking for a reliable online meeting tool? WebEx is a free tool supported by UCSF ITS that provides secure video conferencing and screen sharing. Meet with anyone, anywhere in real time. Get started here!