A Monthly Digest for Faculty and Staff at UCSF School of Medicine
Photo: Elisabeth Fall
New medical education podcast The Spark shares Bridges Curriculum stories, covering topics ranging from global health research to new approaches in healthcare equity to novel ways to tackle today’s most challenging illnesses. Each episode provides a glimpse into how our medical students are being trained to think adaptively, grow continuously as learners, and adopt the habits of mind in scientific inquiry and discovery around complex health issues.
Elsewhere, our students are nurturing scientific curiosity in San Francisco Unified School District elementary school classrooms.
Our collective UCSF fundraising goal for this Sunday's AIDS Walk San Francisco is higher than ever this year. San Francisco Supervisor Jeff Sheehy recently joined Diane Havlir, MD, and Paul Volberding, MD, at a UCSF event to rally the UCSF community to give due to threatened HIV funding at the federal level. We invite you to visit our School of Medicine team page to learn how you can support our team as a walker or with a donation.
Courses and Certificate Program in Implementation Science now enrolling: UCSF’s Training in Clinical Research program and CTSI Online Education are pleased to offer a series of six courses focused on how to design, adapt, implement and evaluate health interventions in health systems and communities. Courses can be taken individually or completed over 1-2 years (in-person or online) as part of a certificate program. Trainees include clinical/public health researchers, clinicians, public health/public policy practitioners, and quality improvement officers.
The Clinical Sciences Building general contractor is hired and working behind the scenes (see update). Additional updates will be provided once an updated timeline is available.
Leadership & Alumni News
- Elizabeth Fair, PhD, MPH, has been named director of the UCSF Health Sciences PhD program.
- Alum Matthew Kuehnert, MD, was named medical director at the Musculoskeletal Transplant Foundation, the world's largest tissue bank.
- Diana Nicoll, MD, PhD, retired on July 7, after 40 years of distinguished service to the San Francisco VA Health Care System. Rina Shah, MD, SFVAHCS deputy chief of staff, has assumed the role of interim chief of staff and Theodora Maura, MD, has assumed the role of interim deputy chief of staff.
- Shant Vartanian, MD, was appointed interim chief of the Department of Surgery at Zuckerberg San Francisco General on July 7. He assumes this position from Hobart Harris, MD, MPH, who served as interim chief since May 2016.
- UCSF Excellence and Innovation in Graduate Medical Education Awards:
- Faculty: Meg Autry, MD, Brian Schwartz, MD, Larissa Thomas, MD, and Diana Wu, MD.
- GME Program Administration: Mari Collings, Vicky Tateo, Katherine Jung.
- Residents and Fellows: Kimberly Kallianos, MD, Bridget Keenan, MD, PhD, Jennifer Olenik, MD, Andrea Rosati, MD, and Lamercie Saint-Hilaire, MD.
- UCSF Sustainability Awards: SOM recipients included Matthew State Lab (team); Seema Gandhi, MD (faculty), and Lori Justice (staff).
- Abul Abbas, MBBS, received the UCSF Lifetime Achievement in Mentoring Award.
- David Daikh, MD, Umesh Masharani, MD, MB, and Francis Yao, MD, are this year's UCSF Department of Medicine Master Clinicians.
- Tracy Fulton, PhD, received a Master Teacher Award from the International Association of Medical Science Educators.
- Monica Gandhi, MD, received the Constance B. Wofsy Women's Health Investigator Award from the AIDS Clinical Trials Group.
- Stephen Hauser, MD, received the Taubman Prize for Excellence in Translational Medical Research.
- PhD candidate Christina Hueschen, was highlighted by Business Times as one of the "Magnificent Seven" researchers changing the face of biotech.
- Bertram Lubin, MD, received the inaugural T. Gary Rogers Lifetime Community Commitment Award by the Oakland Chamber of Commerce.
- Anna Molofsky, MD, PhD, and Shaeri Mukherjee, PhD, were named Pew Scholars in the biomedical sciences.
- Jennifer Puck, MD, received the Boyle Scientific Achievement Award from the Immune Deficiency Foundation.
- Jack Resnick, Jr., MD, was named chair-elect of the 2017-18 American Medical Association Board of Trustees.
- Student Derek Smith, is a recipient of an American Medical Association Foundation Excellence in Medicine Minority Scholars Award.
- Postdoctoral fellow Jyotika ‘Jo’ Varshney, DVM, PhD, led a team of data scientists and engineers to win the first ever AI Genomics Hackathon.
- Bob Wachter, MD, was selected by Modern Healthcare magazine as one of the 50 most influential physician-executives and leaders in the U.S., his 10th year in a row in the top 50.
- Arthur Weiss, MD, PhD, and Jonathan Weissman, PhD, were elected as associate members to the European Molecular Biology Organization.
- Keith Yamamoto, PhD, was appointed vice chair of the National Academy of Medicine Council and named a member of the National Research Council Governing Board Executive Committee.
William Hamilton, MD, who, as chair, who built the Department of Anesthesia into one of the premier anesthesia departments in the world, has passed away. In 1983, he became the first vice dean for clinical affairs at UCSF.
Howard Kline, MD, a longtime clinical faculty member and beloved teacher, has passed away.
Tip of the Month
Bookmark Campus Life Services Construction Impacts website for up-to-date information on current construction work and how it affects your commute and campus travel.