A Monthly Digest for Faculty and Staff at UCSF School of Medicine
Our fourth Dean's Forum was a vivid reminder of the breadth and depth of a public mission that is "critical to who we are as a university."
For faculty: Comp Plan 101: Join Vice Dean Elena Fuentes-Afflick and other members of the School of Medicine Compensation Plan Advisory Committee on September 22, 12-1pm (S-214, Parnassus; check Calendar for livestream link on day of event).
Submission deadline for Innovations Funding for Education proposal concepts is October 2.
The UCSF Center for Community Engagement (formerly University Community Partnerships) invites applications for the 2017 Excellence in Partnership Award. The award recognizes exemplary partnerships between San Francisco Bay Area communities and UCSF that strive to promote health equity. Applications due: September 13. Awardees will be honored at the Partnerships Celebration.
- The Haile T. Debas Academy of Medical Educators
- Class of 2017 Inductees: Nima Afshar, MD, Amy Garlin, MD, Michelle Guy, MD, David Jull-Patterson, PhD, Ryan Laponis, MD, Ellen Laves, MD, Erin Mathes, MD, Bradley Monash, MD, Alissa Peterson, MD, Nardine Riegels, MD, Larissa Thomas, MD, and Tali Ziv, MD.
- 2017 Excellence in Teaching Award recipients
- Anesthesia & Perioperative Care: Charlene Swift, MD, PhD;
- Emergency Medicine: Hemal Kanzaria, MD, Mary Mercer, MD, Rawnie Ruegner, MD, Barry C. Simon, MD, Nathan Teismann, MD, Jeffrey Uller, MD, and Charlotte Wills, MD;
- Family and Community Medicine: Steven Bromer, MD, Ila Naeni, DO, Christine Pecci, MD, Anjana Sharma, MD, Benjamin Smith, MD, Elizabeth Uy-Smith, MD, MPH, and Tenessa MacKenzie, MD;
- Medicine: Brook Calton, MD, MHS, Pei Chen, MD, Lukejohn Day, MD, Kathryn Eubank, MD, Sarah Kim, MD, Daphne Lo, MD, Edgar Pierluissi, MD, Lloyd Stockey, MD, and Susan Wlodarczyk, MD.
- Neurology: Karen Parko, MD, and Nicole Rosendale, MD;
- Obstetrics, Gynecology & Reproductive Sciences: Jocelyn Chapman, MD
- Pathology: Marta Margeta, MD, PhD
- Pediatrics: Taylor Clark, MD, Brian Gin, MD, PhD, David Gordon, MD, Juan Raul Gutierrez, MD, MPH, Noel Rosales, MD, Scott Soifer, MD, and Amy Whittle, MD
- Psychiatry: John Chamberlain, MD, James Duffy, MD, Shawn Hersevoort, MD, Demian Rose, MD, PhD, and Bobby Singh, MD
- Radiology and Biomedical Engineering: Spencer Behr, MD;
- Surgery: Lan Vu, MD, Ryutaro Hirose, MD, Catherine Julliard, MD, Kimberly Kirkwood, MD, Mary McGrath, MD, Wen Shen, MD, MA, Laurence Yee, MD, and Warren J. Gasper, MD
- Center for Faculty Educators' Teaching Scholars Program Class of 2017 graduates
- Eyad Almasri, MD, Naomi Anker, MD, Phaedra Bell, PhD, Sara Buckelew, MD, Joseph Cook, MA, Anand Dhruva, MD, Sarah GaleWyrick, MD, Margaret Handley, PhD, MPH, Monica Harbell, MD, Lynn Keenan, MD, Stutee Khandelwal, MD, MPH, Descartes Li, MD, Matthew Lin, MD, Jyothi Marbin, MD, Lynnea Mills, MD, Sirisha Narayana, MD, Nardine Riegels, MD, and Esme Shaller, PhD.
- UCSF Medical Center Exceptional Award recipients
- Steven Hetts, MD, David Hwang, MD, Johannes Kratz, MD, Yeranui Ledesma, MD, Ngoc Ly, MD, MPH, Sabine Mueller, MD, PhD, Tina Shih, MD, and Juan González Vélez, MD.
- Nancy Adler, PhD, received the Academy Medal for Distinguished Contributions in Biomedical Science from the New York Academy of Medicine.
Appointments and Transitions
- Alden Harken, MD, chair and chief of UCSF's East Bay Surgery Program, announced his retirement. Greg Victorino, MD was named as interim.
- Marika Dubin Russell, MD appointed Chief of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery at Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital.
- Sept. 6 – School of Medicine Dean's Faculty Social Hour: all faculty welcome (Millberry Union, Parnassus, 4:30-6:30pm)
- Sept. 7 – Defending DACA (Parnassus)
- Sept. 11 – The Haile T. Debas Academy of Medical Educators Celebration of New Members (non-members welcome, please register; Parnassus)
- Sept. 11 – Learning from Dying: Buddhist Understandings of Consciousness and Death - Conversations with Robert Thurman, PhD (Parnassus)
- Sept. 11 – Martin Ingvar, MD, PhD: Paving the Way for Integrative Medicine by Systematic Use of Patient Reported Outcome Measures (Mount Zion)
- Sept. 12 – Faculty Development Day (Laurel Heights)
- Sept. 12 – Aviad Haramati, PhD: An Experiential Introduction to Mind-Body Medicine (Parnassus)
- Sept. 13 – Aviad Haramati, PhD: Integrative Medicine Grand Rounds: Managing Stress, Building Resilience (Mount Zion)
- Sept. 14 – Preterm Birth Initiative Collaboratory: Cumulative Risk for Preterm Birth: Patterns, Practice, and Planning (RSVP; Mission Bay)
- Sept. 22 – Comp Plan 101: What the Comp Plan Means for You (Parnassus)
- Sept. 26 – UCSF Schwartz Rounds: Caring for Patients with Opioid Use Disorder (Parnassus)
- October – December: Communitas: Mind-Body and Resilience Group Visit for Youth with Chronic Illness (Osher Center)
- Oct. 3 – When Jail is the Safety Net: Women’s Health and Mass Incarceration in the U.S. dinner and lecture (please RSVP; Parnassus)
- Oct. 12 – Sharecase (Mission Bay)
- Oct. 25 – Sokolow Memorial Cancer Endowment Lectureship: Patrick S. Moore, MD, MPH - Two Sides of the Same Coin: Viral Tumors and Immune Evasion" (Mission Bay)
- Oct. 26 – Sokolow Memorial Cancer Endowment Lectureship - Grand Rounds Lecture: Yuan Chang, MD - Viruses: the Forgotten Causes of Cancer (Parnassus)
- Oct. 27 – Chancellor's 2017 State of the University Address (Parnassus)
- Nov. 16 – School of Medicine Dean's Forum: Our Education Mission (ZSFG)
Arthur Ablin, MD, a world-renowned pediatric hematologist-oncologist.
Edmond "Ted" Eger, MD, a giant of anesthesia and a distinguished scientist.
Marshall Klaus, MD, a pioneering neonatologist and researcher.
Jeffrey Pearl, MD, an outstanding surgeon and a tirelessly dedicated associate dean and associate medical director of UCSF Medical Center at Mount Zion.
Tip of the Month
UCSF Staff Assembly Scholarship Program: The UCSF Staff Assembly is now accepting applications for the Fall 2017 award cycle! The aim of this program is to support activities that enrich the professional lives of its members — UCSF career, non-represented, non-union staff. Awards are available to cover Professional Development and Continuing Education (PDCE) activities that begin within the period of July 1 – December 31, 2017. Applicants may request up to $300 each. Deadline: September 30