We are pleased to announce the 2019 class of John A. Watson Faculty Scholars and recipients of the Dean’s Diversity Fund
- Christopher Bartley, MD, PhD: Chief Resident, Psychiatry
- Tasce Bongiovanni, MD, MPP: Assistant Professor, Surgery
- Rosny Daniel, MD: Assistant Professor, Emergency Medicine
- Marlene Martin, MD: Assistant Professor, Medicine
- Ashley McMullen, MD: Chief Resident, Medicine
- David L. Pennington, PhD: Assistant Professor, Psychiatry
- Paul Wesson, PhD: Assistant Adjunct Professor, Epidemiology & Biostatistics
- Sara Whetstone, MD, MHS: Assistant Professor, OB/Gyn
The UCSF School of Medicine Dean’s Diversity Fund was established in 2015 to support the recruitment and retention of faculty who share the university’s commitment to diversity and our belief that we have the responsibility to care for underserved and vulnerable populations. The awards provide faculty with three-year, $75,000 per year support to develop their academic interests, as well as pursue activities that contribute to the community.
This fund was initiated by the dean and implemented by the Chairs and Directors Council on Diversity (CD2
.) The awards are named after Professor John A. Watson, a champion for diversity, an inspiring mentor, and a tenacious scientist. During his tenure as dean of admissions in the 1970s, he rapidly increased the number of women and minority students in the entering medical school classes.
Congratulations to these outstanding faculty members for their commitment to fostering a culture of inclusion throughout UCSF and in the communities we serve.