Read archive | Submit to News Links | Facebook | Twitter
At commencement, the 19th Surgeon General Vivek Murthy, MD, PhD, delivered a passionate speech on moral leadership, reflecting shared values with the Class of 2017 (watch entire speech on YouTube).
STAR Achievement Awards We are very pleased to announce 154 staff members in 31 departments from across the School of Medicine as the inaugural recipients of a STAR Achievement Award for their efforts and impact. The Staff Appreciation and Recognition Plan (the “STAR Plan”) cash recognition awards are discretionary and may be awarded to eligible employees for the purpose of recognizing and rewarding excellence in University service, significant achievements and contributions, and outstanding performance. A STAR Work Group of Department Administrators developed an equitable selection process to compare accomplishments for staff across functional areas, and gave significant consideration to the diversity of roles, classification levels and departments represented among both selection committee members and Achievement Award winners (more information and recipient list).
Call for Chancellor's Diversity Award nominations: recognize outstanding efforts of individuals or teams who are advancing an inclusive campus climate. Deadline: June 13.
UCSF has funded five new projects that use the Electronic Medical Record platform to improve care. The 2017 UCSF Learning Healthcare System Project Awardees are Rebecca Sudore, MD, Deborah Franzon, MD, Valerie Flaherman, MD, Sajan Patel, MD, and Ralph Wang, MD.
- School of Medicine Graduation Teaching Awards:
- Binh An Phan, MD received the Osler Distinguished Teacher Award.
- Excellence in Teaching Awards recipients: Christopher Fee, MD, Brian Feeley, MD, Carol Miller, MD, Shabnam Peyvandi, MD, and Geoffrey Stetson, MD
- Teaching Excellence Award for Cherished Housestaff (T.E.A.C.H.) recipients: Emily Cedarbaum, MD, MPH, Benjamin Lee, MD, Megan Lockwood, Mark Terrelonge, MD, MPH, and Evan Werlin, MD
- UCSF Founders Day Awards included the following SOM recipients:
- Kirsten Bibbins-Domingo, MD, PhD (faculty) and Heyman Oo, MD, MPH, and Peter Cooch, MD (students) received the Chancellor Award for Public Service.
- Alexsandrina Eppel received the Chancellor Award for Exceptional University Management.
- Coleen Kivlahan, MD, MSPH, received the Thomas N. Burbridge Public Service Award.
- Khang Nguyen received the Chancellor Award for Exceptional University Service.
- ZSFG Medicine Faculty and Fellow Awards:
- Ann Bolger, MD, received the ZSFG Department of Medicine (DOM) Mentoring Award.
- Seth Goldman, MD, received the ZSFG DOM Performance/Quality Improvement Award.
- Antonio Gomez, MD, received the Henry F. (Chip) Chambers, MD Medicine Subspecialty Consultant Award.
- Sharad Jain, MD, received the ZSFG DOM Distinction in Medical Education Award.
- Joe Roll, MD, received the Jane Bailowitz, MD Volunteer Faculty Award.
- Jeremy Tietjens, MD, received the ZSFG DOM Clinical Fellow Award.
- Lisa Winston, MD, received the John F. Murray, MD Award for Academic Excellence in Internal Medicine & Dedication to the Humanitarian Mission of ZSFG.
- Michael Anderson, MD, received an honorary degree from John Carroll University, his alma mater.
- Allan Basbaum, PhD, received the Reeve-Irvine Research Medal from the Reeve-Irvine Research Center at University of California at Irvine School of Medicine.
- Kirsten Bibbins-Domingo, MD, PhD, was elected to the Association of American Physicians.
- Atul Butte, MD, PhD, received the Ilchun Molecular Medicine Award from the Korea Genomic Medicine Research Foundation.
- Elena Fuentes-Afflick, MD, MPH, began her term as president of the American Pediatric Society in May.
- Eric Goosby, MD, received the Distinguished Leader in Global Health Award from the Consortium of Universities for Global Health.
- Roberta Keller, MD, Matthew Lin, MD, Daniel Pound, MD, and John Turnbull, MD were elected to the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society.
- Ronald Vale, PhD, received the 2017 Shaw Prize in Life Science and Medicine.
- Keith Yamamoto, PhD, received a 2017 Luminary Award from the Precision Medicine World Conference.
Thomas Hall, MD, PhD, an epidemiologist and global health pioneer, has passed away.
John Rouse, MD, a psychiatrist who was a tireless advocate for the mentally ill, has passed away.
Submit to News Links: Please email us a brief description and link.