A Monthly Digest for Faculty and Staff at UCSF School of Medicine
Read archive | Submit to News Links | Facebook | Twitter
On Match Day, our students express a commitment to healthcare, equity and activism.
UCSF is the top public recipient of NIH research funding for the sixth consecutive year; all UCSF schools swept the number one ranking for the fourth straight year.
U.S. News & World Report rankings: The School of Medicine is once again the only medical school in the nation ranked in the top 5 for research (#4) and primary care (#3). UCSF ranked in the top 10 in 6 specialties (#1 in internal medicine, #2 in women's health, #4 in family medicine and in drug/alcohol abuse, #5 in geriatrics, #7 in pediatrics). The UCSF/San Francisco State University physical therapy program was ranked the #1 public program in CA and in the top 10 of U.S. public programs.
Our recent Dean's Forum provided an overview of how UCSF Health, Zuckerberg San Francisco General and the San Francisco VA Healthcare System combine to form our clinical enterprise.
Submit a proposal for the Cancer Center Impact Grant; any area relevant to cancer will be considered and anyone from the UCSF community may apply (including students and staff!). Deadline: April 7.
The UCSF Pepper Center is offering several $30k career development awards and research pilot awards related to improving care for older adults. Deadline: May 1.
The 2017 School of Medicine Facts & Figures brochures will soon be available. They are a printed version of our facts webpage and are used by departments, ORUs, centers and school and campus units for outreach, recruitment and publicity. We can provide bulk copies to any campus unit (25+ copies) at no cost as long as supplies last. Please send your request to Shelley Wong.
Honors and Appointments
- 2017 Academic Senate Distinguished Faculty Award School of Medicine recipients are Vincanne Adams, PhD, for Distinction in Teaching (more than 5 years) and M. Maria Glymour, ScD, MS, for Distinction in Mentoring (less than 5 years) and Miriam Kuppermann, PhD, MPH, for Distinction in Mentoring (more than 5 years).
- Tejal Desai, PhD, was named chair-elect of the American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering College of Fellows.
- David Julius, PhD, is the recipient of the 2017 Canada Gairdner International Award.
- Kristine Yaffe, MD, is the recipient of the 2017 Potamkin Prize for Research in Pick's, Alzheimer's and Related Diseases.
- April 5 – 2017 Shobe Endowed Lectureship: Jennifer Prah Ruger, PhD (Parnassus)
- April 7-8 – UCSF Alumni Weekend (Fairmont Hotel)
- April 10 – Twitter for Science (Mission Bay)
- April 12 – Now Playing: A UCSF Day of Discovery & Fun at the Library (Parnassus)
- April 13 – Last Lecture with Howard Pinderhughes, PhD (Parnassus)
- April 13 – Faculty Mentoring Lunchtime Series with Brian Alldredge, PharmD (Mission Bay)
- April 18 – Learning from Dying: A Conversation about Consciousness and Death (Parnassus)
- April 22 – “Stand Up for Science” Teach-In and Rally (Mission Bay) and UCSF Contingent at March for Science (San Francisco)
- April 25 - Distinguished Faculty Awards Ceremony (Parnassus)
- Osher Mini Medical School for the Public courses (Parnassus)
- April 26 – 2017 Chancellor's Health Policy Lecture with Hal Barron (Parnassus)
- April 26 – Faculty Mentoring Lunchtime Series with Erica Monasterio, MD, FNP-BC (Parnassus)
- April 26 – Integrative Medicine Grand Rounds events: Acupuncture and the Placebo Effect with Lisa Conboy, MA, MS, ScD, and Comparative Effectiveness Research on Acupuncture with Claudia Witt, MD, MBA (Osher Center)
- April 27 – 10th Annual Chancellor's Leadership Forum on Diversity and Inclusion (Parnassus)
- April 27 – 20th Anniversary Maurice Galante Lecture with Robert Reich (Mission Bay; please RSVP by 4/17; for questions contact Sarah Krumholz at 415-502-1899; seating will be first come, first served)
- April 28 – School of Medicine Dean's Forum - Finance (Parnassus)
- May 3 – Dealing With Science Denial and Why I Don't Call It That Anymore with Ann Reid (Mission Bay)
- May 10 – UCSF Clinical Data Colloquium (Mission Bay)
- May 10 – 2017 Faculty Research Lecture in Translational Science: Sarah Nelson, PhD (Mission Bay)
- May 11 – A Conversation with John Milligan, CEO, Gilead Sciences (Mission Bay)
- May 11 – Salute to Excellence Staff Appreciation (Parnassus)
- May 16 – Salute to Excellence Staff Appreciation (Mission Bay)
- May 30 – Faculty Mentoring Lunchtime Series with Kirsten Bibbins-Domingo, PhD, MD (Mission Bay)
Video of the Month
A high-level overview of the complexities of space at UCSF.